According to a 2009 study by researches at Clemson University in South Carolina and the USDA, grass fed beef is better for your health than grain fed beef. Here are the top 10 reasons!
- Lower in total fat.
- Higher in beta-carotene, a powerful antioxidant and precursor to vitamin A. Great for hair, skin, & nails and for fighting age-related diseases.
- Higher in vitamin E (alpha-tocopherol), a fat soluble vitamin and another anti-oxidant. It helps maintain muscle and form red blood cells.
- Higher in the B-vitamins thiamin and riboflavin, B vitamins are essential for maintaining healthy metabolism, adrenal function, and nervous system.
- Higher in the minerals calcium, magnesium, and potassium; these minerals are not made by the body, they are required for cellular and metabolic functions.
- Higher in total omega-3s, essential fatty acids not made by the body, but required for cellular functions, great for disease prevention and reducing inflammation.
- A healthier ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 fatty acids (1.65 vs 4.84)
- Higher in CLA (cis-9 trans-11), a potential cancer fighter and immune booster, great to help keep body fat and inflammation down.
- Higher in vaccenic acid (which can be transformed into CLA).
- Lower in the saturated fats linked with heart disease.
S.K. Duckett et al, Journal of Animal Science, (published online) June 2009, “Effects of winter stocker growth rate and finishing system on: III. Tissue proximate, fatty acid, vitamin and cholesterol content.” (eatwild.com).